Wednesday, January 18, 2012

WIP Wednesday: The Sickiepoo Edition

When I am still awake last night at two in the morning, my throat getting increasingly sore, I suspected that today wouldn't be the best day ever. I was right. The only good thing about being up that last was that I finished the book I was reading. I haven't blogged about books very much yet, so you may not be aware that I am a voracious reader. I keep track of my reads on Goodreads (you can find my profile here - I'd love to connect with you!). Last year I read 27 books which is a pretty slow year for me (2010: 42; 2009: 47), but I did have a baby and all. I also got my iPad this year and find that my blog reading has seriously cut into my novel reading time. Anyway, I finished the Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides and while it wasn't as good as Middlesex, I really liked his portrayal of bipolar disorder and that it was told in three distinct voices.

Okay, on to my quilting antics. I finished two more basic sawtooth starts for the Oh My Stars QAL. They are the middle size, eight inch squares. I used a fabric from my stash that I've been dying to cut into and I'm so happy I did!  It's Wildfield in Cherry from the Wrenly line by Valori Wells and it is divine.

I'm having some trouble with my seam allowances. They measure at 1/4 inch but I still find that I'm a bit off when piecing my rows together. Luckily, fabric stretches a bit so I was still able to line everything up and nothing looks wonky.
I also finished block five for the Sew Happy Quilt QAL. This one used templates which I didn't love. I prefer to either paper piece or use measurements to cut my fabric. That said, it wasn't a big deal and the block was extremely easy to sew up. It worked out great.
Here are all five blocks together. I need to make sure to use that purple fabric in another block because right now that block really looks out of place.

WIP status report
Farmer's Wife QAL - two more blocks completed, six total
Sew. Happy. Quilt. QAL - one block completed, five total
We Bee Learning Bee - January block is done
Sampler Quilt class @ The Workroom - three blocks completed
Wonky Log Cabin Placemats - ready to be quilted!
Levi's Growth Chart - no progress, still need to embroider his height, but otherwise complete
Levi's Bed Quilt - on hold until I settle on a pattern

As always, I'm linking up with WIP Wednesdays at Freshly Pieced and new this week, with the all Canadian Needle and Thread Network.

6 comments:

  1. Gargle salt water! It works well. :) thanks for linking! It's nice to meet you!
    Monika in Saskatoon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely blocks. Sorry to hear that you are poorly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have lots of wonderful work on the go , hope your sore throat doesn't get much worse , take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had my daughter in Feb. 2011 too! Blog reading and having a child to take care of have seriously cut into my reading time. I only finished 15 books this year. I used to average 1 every week or two.

    I hadn't seen Wildfield in Cherry before, but I do agree it is divine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVEEE the bright colors you use!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great stars!!! I always find that my measurements are a bit off when doing anything on the bias - sure wish I could find out why that is! My solution - cut the squares a little larger than the pattern calls for and trim to fit - works every time!

    ReplyDelete