Wednesday, January 4, 2012

WIP Wednesday: The No Sew Edition

It's been a busy day today craftwise, despite doing absolutely zero sewing. 

Jenna posted the first two blocks for the Sew. Happy. Quilt. QAL yesterday and last night I pulled out my fabrics to start cutting. I immediately hit a snag. The prints I'd chosen, while lovely, did not have an adequate variety of scale (is that grammatically correct?!).  I had large scale patterns, but very few small and medium scale prints. Cutting those large patterns into pieces was going drastically reduce their impact. There are a few blocks in the QAL which favour larger prints (this week's Snowball block, for example) so I still intend to use some of them, but I needed to add to my selection. And we all know I love an excuse to buy more fabric so off to The Workroom I went, with Levi in tow.  I selected three small scale prints and realized I had another one in my stash at home that would fit nicely. Problem solved!

I also spent a fair bit of time last night auditioning fabric for Hayley's We Bee Learning block. She chose black, grey and "light blue to turquoise." My stash is sorely lacking in these colours. I have one black print, one grey print and a single light blue solid FQ.  I've got a ton of teal. I agonized over whether teal and turquoise are interchangeable and determined they are not. Teal is greenish while turquoise is, well, not. After hemming and hawing all afternoon today I finally just took a photo and asked Hayley if the the fabrics I'd selected were too green. Luckily, she felt that at least two of them worked!  Sweet!

Lots of cutting, no sewing.
My Sampler Quilt class begins tomorrow night (yay!) and we were instructed to bring a border print and three fat quarters: one light, one dark and one contrast. I'm really looking forward to this class. I haven't photographed my selections yet, so I made a mosaic instead (which is a bit ridiculous because it would have been just as easy to take a photo).  The hexie print at the top right will be my border print. I already had the green Outfoxed FQ and all of the Prince Charming was on sale (double yay!!).


Oh! I also took apart the blocks I auditioned for Levi's Bed Quilt today. The thought du jour is that it will become something like this with black where there is white.

So, now you are up to date. I'm linking up with Lee's WIP Wednesday, despite the fact that I don't have a finished project to share.  It *is* work-in-progress afterall.




WIP status report
Farmer's Wife QAL - two blocks completed
Sew. Happy. Quilt. QAL - pieces for Snowball Block cut
We Bee Learning Bee - pieces cut for Hayley's block
Sampler Quilt class @ The Workroom - fabrics selected
Wonky Log Cabin Placemats - no progress, still one block to go
Levi's Growth Chart - no progress, still need to embroider his height, but otherwise complete
Levi's Bed Quilt - on hold until I settle on a pattern


P.S. How did it get so late?! No proofreading - sorry!

2 comments:

  1. This is the hardest part of quilting for me. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have been a very busy bee! I need to buy fabric for my block since I don't own anything in grey...lol didn't think that through now did i! Can't wait too see how everything turns out!

    ReplyDelete