I tried free motion quilting for the second time ever on this mini quilt and it was not without issue. I wanted to quilt bubbles. This led to a heck of a lot of thread ends to cut - two for each circle! I wonder if there is a way to avoid this? I feel like there should be but I have no idea what it might be!
Tension was also a problem. I tried to adjust it without success. I used a different colour thread for the bobbin in order to match the backing fabric and this made the tension issues quite apparent. I'm not too proud to show you the back.
I decided to draw on the face rather than embroider it. My hand sewing skills just aren't that good and I wanted this quilt finished and hanging in my office quickly. I think her face is very pretty. I used nail polish for her lips and cheeks.
Other than finishing this quilt (tonight!) the only sewing I got done this week was continuing to hand sew the binding for my sampler quilt. It's taking forever! I really hope to finish it up this week, but my weekend is jam packed so who knows if I'll find time for it.
And now...for my weekly status report:
WIP status report
Farmer's Wife QAL - no progress
Sew. Happy. Quilt. QAL - no progress - nine completed, I'm now TWO WEEKS BEHIND! Eek!
We Bee Learning Bee - March block was just posted but I haven't given it any thought yet.
Sampler Quilt class @ The Workroom - binding is in progress
Wonky Log Cabin Placemats - no progress - 2.5 of 4 quilted
Levi's Growth Chart - no progress, but embroidering is halfway done!
Levi's Bed Quilt - on hold until I settle on a pattern
3 x 6 Bee - no progress but I've cut the pieces for half the blocks
Office Matriochka Mini Quilt - DONE AS DINNER! Hooray!
As always, I'm linking up with WIP Wednesdays at Freshly Pieced and the Canadian Needle and Thread Network. Do take the time to check out what my talented internet friends are working on. There's so much inspiration just waiting for you!
EDITED to add link to TGIFF, my first Friday Finish!