Monday, February 6, 2012

3 x 6 on the Brain

I've been busy auditioning blocks for my 3 x 6 mini bee. I wanted to choose something that was visually interesting, but not too onerous since I'd be making six identical blocks. While I have three months to complete them, I'd like to finish them before I return to work (t-minus two weeks, two days). Initially I wanted to keep the fabric variety to three or four prints per block, primarily because my hivemates chose colours that I don't have a lot of in my stash. This is no longer a requirement because I went shopping on Sunday. I love an excuse to buy fabric!

My first two test blocks used a Quilty Cross I found on Flickr. In one I used four different fabrics and in the second, two.



I learned that using this method for this block really requires you to use only one fabric for the cross.  Although I like the look of the second block, I don't love it so I decided to keep looking.

I've been lagging on the Oh My Stars! QAL progress and wanted to get moving on it but all I could think about was the 3 x 6 bee. Enter the recently posted Quattro Stagioni Star.  I decided to make it in my colours to see if it would be a good match for the swap.  BINGO! We have a winner! I love it!


Last, but not least, I completed this week's Sew Happy Quilt QAL block. It's another Flying Geese Pinwheel block and despite the fact that I made one of these recently for my Sampler Quilt, I ran into all sorts of problems with it. I ended up ripping quite a few seams. Still, the end product is pretty terrific, if I do say so myself.


I finished my Sampler Quilt top tonight and it looks fabulous, but I'm not ready to show it to you just yet. I'll be completing the scrappy backing tomorrow and I want to show them both to you at the same time. Until tomorrow!  In the meantime, check out Manic Monday on Jenna's blog.

3 comments: