Saturday, January 14, 2012

Sampler Style

Thursday night's quilt class was a blast. The other women in the group are lovely. Since we aren't generally able to finish our blocks during class, we have show and tell at the beginning of each session where we "oooh and aaaah" over everyone's work. We seem to have very different tastes, making our blocks quite unique. One woman is doing her quilt entirely in yellow and grey.  Another has a Victorian style, while mine is bright and modern. I've noticed that people approaches to quilting differs. Of course, this should be obvious, but for whatever reason, it surprised me. I am a perfectionist. It bothers me when my pieces are even an eighth of an inch off. I need my seam allowance to be as exact as possible. I'm quick to rip a seam that is the slightest bit wonky. In fact, the instructor accused me of micro-managing my quilt! Eek! Others in the class have almost a slap dash approach. While imperfection makes me batty, others can zip right along without batting an eyelash. Each approach has it's merits, for sure. I'm certainly not proud of my nitpicking. I wish my eye didn't immediately hone in on the tiniest errors, but it does and so fix it I must.

This week we did two blocks, a log cabin and a nine patch. I love my log cabin block! Isn't it fabulous? I feel like this photo doesn't do the colours justice. I particularly like the two inner green fabrics. Both are from Basic Grey Origins line. These came out in the fall of 2010 so I'm not sure how easy it is to find; I might just have to stock up on it while it's still in the store!


I feel okay about my nine patch, but I'm not over the moon about it. The actual nine patches are fabulous, but the two large squares aren't fussy cut to perfection. I tried really hard to centre the graphic but it was difficult and the result isn't to my liking. That said, I think once it's sashed it will look fine in the grand scheme of the quilt.
The fabrics are divine! This block has some Ruby by Bonnie & Camille, Kate Spain's Central Park, Michael Miller's Retro Basics and Tula Pink's Prince Charming.

Here are my three blocks all together. Only three more to go!


2 comments:

  1. Your blocks look fantastic! I always like to improve my skills but I don't sweat the small stuff as long as I'm getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blocks look great. We are our own worst critics most of the time.

    ReplyDelete