Friday, January 6, 2012

Ups and Downs and All Arounds

Today was one of those days where there were moments of awesome and moments of much less than awesome (it's midnight and my brain is blanking on the right word to describe the opposite of awesome).

Awesome: my first sampler quilt class. I can already tell that I am going to learn so much from our instructor. Today I learned the value of finger pressing your seams before ironing. Who knew?

Less than awesome: Levi's chest cold that has him coughing in his sleep. That is, once I'm able to get him to fall asleep. Nap times today were decidedly unfun.

Awesome: My husband being home from work even earlier than I had asked which ensured that I was not rushing to get to class on time.

Less than awesome: working out the logistics of my return to work.

Awesome: registering for a business number with Revenue Canada quickly and easily by phone (it took three minutes!).

Less than awesome: dropping my coffee mug, cutting mat, 24x6 ruler and cell phone in the middle of Queen Street and Spadina during rush hour (yes, in the middle! right by the streetcar stop! my mug went right under a stopped car's front tire! but the driver saw it happen and let me pick it up.)

By the time I got home at 10 p.m. I was feeling a bit defeated, despite the terrific class I'd just finished. So rather than go to bed I chose to sew some more. It was the right choice. I finished Hayley's block for the We Bee Learning bee. After all my fussing over fabric, I'm really happy with my final choices. I picked up a grey and black print tonight that works well.  My only qualm is that the seams don't line up 100% perfectly. I might do some ripping tomorrow and try again, but on the other hand, I might not. I have a tendency to be a perfectionist and I'm not sure it will even be that noticeable in the grand scheme of a larger quilt. What do you think? Rip or leave it be?
American Jane Pindots; Cape Ann, Dragonfly Green Chrysanthemum Swirl;
Kona light blue; Silent Cinema, Grey Front Row

4 comments:

  1. Hi Lisaleh! Thanks for visiting me!
    I think this is beautiful! I love the mix of patterns and colors. Really unique!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear that your day had you on a such a roller coaster!

    I think the block looks great. No need to be ripping any seams!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great fabrics and the block looks very nice!

    I've done my share of ripping since being able to sew again so I can only say this....if the overall block size is correct then leave it as is, unless it really bothers you. In some quilt designs being, off could start effecting overall design but as a sampler quilt it probably wouldn't, since blocks vary so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Karen - unless the size is off, leave it. You did a great job and I love your fabric selection!

    ReplyDelete