Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Checking In

I'm still pregnant.

My midwife acknowledged yesterday that when your first child comes early, it's that much more difficult when the next child arrives on a more "normal" timeline. So true! I'll be 39 weeks tomorrow, so it's not like baby-girl-to-be is late. It's just that I had it in my mind that she'd arrive earlier than Levi did and she hasn't. I'm also incredibly uncomfortable and unable to be on my feet for very long, which means I can't simply go out and walk the neighbourhood or run errands or go shopping or well, do anything. Even sitting at the sewing machine is a challenge, because baby is extremely low and pressing on my tailbone.

Wah, wah, wah! Sorry for the whining. I'm clearly cranky.

Here's another thing that's frustrating me to no end. I've been bit by the garment sewing bug and there are a ton of tops and dresses I'd like to try making. Except a) being pregnant, I can't take accurate measurements of myself and b) I'm going to be breastfeeding for the next year and the tops aren't really BF accessible (Staple dress/top, Wiksten tank, Eucaplyt tank). All of the BF shirt/dress patterns I've come across are made with knits and we've already established that I do NOT like working with knits.  I'm thinking of making the Staple dress as a top and just pulling it up for breastfeeding, but I'm not sure which size to make. Making a muslin makes sense, but as long as the baby is in my belly, it won't really help. Except, the top does have shiring which should be forgiving, so I might just throw caution to the wind and make one up. Yeah, let's go do that, shall we?

4 comments:

  1. Hang in there. Good luck with the staple dress/top! Making it as a top means you won't have to commit as much fabric if it doesn't work out for you - so, bonus. :-) But I'm sure it will turn out great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the bright side, the longer she stays in the more developed she'll be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope she comes soon! I think you should make the Staple Dress as a top...definitely!!!! Hang in there =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yes, I remember those days and now that my eldest is almost 10, days I'll never go back to! Good luck with whatever you decide to do... and best of luck for the impending arrival!

    ReplyDelete