Monday, January 13, 2014

Troubleshooting Volume

I'm still working away, although rather slowly, on my Marcelle Medallion.
I'm currently working on the second to last border. This is the cross border and the pieces are tiny. Each cross requires nine little bits of fabric. There are 32 cross. The cutting alone took me a week.
Like borders two and four, I planned to make the crosses high volume and the background low volume. I used down teal and pink low volume prints in the flying geese border and I thought I'd do the same with the cross border.
But when I laid out the crosses, it just wasn't working. Taking a photo helped me see that the pink Chicopee prints were too saturated. The teal low volume prints were standing out too much. It was time to edit. Unfortunately this meant more cutting. Which I dreaded. But I did it anyway.
Much better.


  1. Yes, taking a picture is often very helpful. I am particularly fond of those' flying geese' borders.
    best for 2014, Jan

  2. Looks fantastic! Good changes with the low volume prints. The crosses were gorgeous before but they're even better now. Your instincts are spot on!

  3. Gorgeous. I need to drag mine out.

  4. So much cutting for a border! But it's going to look fabulous when you're done.