Friday, December 13, 2013

Little Bundles of Warmth

The staff at Levi's daycare are fabulous and the holidays provide a great opportunity to thank them for taking such good care of our little guy. My first thought was to make zippered pouches and fill them with sweets, but I decided to troll Pinterest for ideas, just to see what else I could come up with.  I'm so glad I did, because I found a great tutorial for homemade hand warmers by V and Co (which includes warming instructions). The best thing about these are how little fabric they require, which makes them a great scrap-buster.
I cut 3.5 by 6 inch strips of fabric and sewed the three open sides closed, leaving a one inch hole for turning the pouches right-side out. Then I used a piece of paper as a funnel and filled the pouches with rice. I overstuffed the first pair; filling them 3/4 of the way works best. I hand-stitched the first few closed, but it took way too long so I machine stitched the rest of them. This method isn't quite as pretty, but I was able to finish 12 of them in less time than it took to hand sew 4 and time is precious around here!

I plan to print out instructions and wrap each pair with a package of hot chocolate. Little bundles of winter warmth! Now what could be sweeter than that?
 
It's been a loooooong time since I've had a finish  on a Friday, so I'm linking up with TGIF this week!

3 comments:

  1. Such a great idea! These are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea! And I may just have to steal it. Your hand warmers are adorable, Lisa! So glad you linked up to TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific project and very achievable.

    ReplyDelete