Wednesday, November 21, 2012

WIP Wednesday: Quilting for Kids

When I saw that my We Bee Learning bee mate Nita was collecting blocks through the Quilting for Kids group on Flickr, I knew I'd be adding my name to the list of contributors. I'd just finished her November block and hadn't mailed it yet so the timing was perfect. This is the third quilt I've donated a block to through this group. The group is run by Sara and we make quilts for kids in foster care. These children often bounce from home to home with little in the way of personal belongings. These quilts not only bring them warmth, but are something they can call their own.

Nita asked for a Reverse Starburst block, using this tutorial from Diary of a Flutter.Kat. The block is a big one; it's 17.5 inches unfinished!  I love how mine turned out.  I can see making an entire quilt using this block in rainbow colours, or even making a lap quilt out of one large block.


It's been a long time since my last WIP Wednesday post. I've been working away at my Farmer's Wife blocks. I've been hand piecing them so progress is extremely slow. I finally got caught up on my bee blocks and am quilting a baby gift for a dear friend, also very slowly. I hope to finish the quilting over the weekend, although that is probably unrealistic. I should just aim to get it done before the end of 2012!

The WIP Wednesday List

Done
We Bee Learning Bee blocks for October and November
Quilting for Kids block for Nita
Curves mini-quilt
 
In Progress
Curious Nature quilt - no progress
Sew Intertwined quilt -no progress
Flora Charm Quilt - no progress
Farmer's Wife QAL - I'm on block 17 now
Hungry Caterpillar Quilt - quilting is a third complete

Hibernating projects
Levi's Growth Chart - no progress
NY Beauty QAL - no progress
We Bee Learning Bee/Levi's Bed Quilt - No progress

I'm linking up with  Freshly Pieced and the Canadian Needle and Thread Network. Head on over to see what everyone else is working on.

5 comments:

  1. Very nice block! I can't get over the material I am seeing as I peruse the blogs....so modern. I really need to start shopping more ;). I love the pattern. I like your lists...I really need to do that...keep telling myself that. I'll have to read back for your Farmer's Wife QAL since I bought the book and it is on my mental to-do list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your block. Great colours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the fabric with the chairs. What is it?

    Gorgeous block, by the way. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're totally going to make some kid's day.

    ReplyDelete