Wednesday, August 1, 2012

WIP Wednesday: The Diet Edition

I don't generally go for diets. I'm just not interested in restricting myself. But sometimes, something has to give, and that time is now.  You see, yesterday I worked on our finances. We use Mint to track expenses and I'm in charge of keeping things up to date. I was categorizing our July receipts and when I saw the total for the "Lisa: Hobbies" budget line, I knew drastic measures were in order. You are my witnesses; I am on a fabric diet for the month of August. No fabric purchases! It won't be easy, but it simply must be done.

Now, don't laugh, but there was fabric waiting in my mail slot today. I bought it in JULY so it's totally legal. I picked up 4 fat quarters from the Heaven and Helsinki line by Patty Young which I simply adore. The colours are very me. Come on now, could this stuff be any cuter?!


I really struggled in choosing the two teal colours for my Sew Intertwined Quilt so I ended up ordering three. Originally I'd planned to use the darkest and medium, but I questioned if there was enough contrast. What do you think? Which two of the three would you use?

Quick shout out to Mad About Patchwork for the crazy fast shipping. Pam, you are the best! I love having a Canadian source for Kona.
My newest WIP is a Picnic blanket using my 10 inch charm squares from the manly swap I recently participated in on Flickr. I figured they would make a perfect picnic quilt because they are dark so the spills won't show too much. I've asked friends to pass along old jeans which I'll use for the backing. I'm not planning to add batting. Here's a sneak peak:


I've joined my very first "finished object" swap. We're swapping mug rugs and the fun part is, you don't know who you'll be receiving from, just who you are making your mug rug for. You're supposed to post "in progress" photos in the Flickr group for others to comment on (hopefully your partner!). I'm excited to learn who I'll be sewing for. I should find out this week.

Oh! I can't forget my biggest, bestest news of the week! I finished the Happy Melon Quilt! Be sure to check it out, because it is FABULOUS!

Whew! This post is getting far too long, so let's jump to the status report, shall we?

Here's where my WIPs are at:
NEW
Mug Rug Swap - waiting for my partner to be assigned
Picnic blanket - well underway
In Progress
Sew Intertwined quilt - fabric has been purchased
Liberty Wiksten tank - on a break
La Dee Da skirt - no progress
Flora Charm Quilt - no progress
Farmer's Wife QAL - no progress
We Bee Learning Bee/Levi's Bed Quilt - June is my month and I've received 9 out of 10 blocks received so far

Sew. Happy. Quilt - DONE!
 
Hibernating projects
Levi's Growth Chart - no progress
NY Beauty QAL - no progress

In the Queue

Curious Nature quilt
Kona Sea Bundle quilt

So, that's what I've been up to. What have you done this week?  I'm linking up with WIP Wednesdays at Freshly Pieced and the Canadian Needle and Thread Network.

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

6 comments:

  1. The fabric is lovely and good luck with your diet. :)
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on the fabric diet. Not such a bad idea to curb things for a month or so. It's just that that is usually when great sales turn up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really have a lot of projects in progress!
    One month without shopping should not be a problem, I think. If you have it like me, you have more fabric than you will ever be able to use.......! Or perhaps you are clever and use all old fabrics before shopping new ones????

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been on a fabric diet for almost a year now and can safely say, I have a net loss. I like your fabrics for the manly project but cannot choose between turquoise, I love them all...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having seen your fabric stash, I think you'll do just fine on your diet. This from the woman who has been to the quilt shop twice in ten days, not spending less than $50 per trip. Oy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's hoping you can stay on your diet. I would have to stay off the computer as well. Too much temptation. Those Patty Young fabrics are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete